had free estimate done for work to repair chimney + fire place [Robert's Chimney Service]
supposedly, the lack of a damper in the fireplace is allowing large amounts of heat loss from the cabin → so repairing the chimney + installing a damper should yield heat savings in 2 ways:
- Less heat loss
- Use of firewood instead of propane to generate heat.
however, it will cost $870.00!! Will SNRE be willing to pay? Stay tuned for further developments.
Use of the Forest
Public use of Saginaw Forest is encouraged. Rules for the public's use include (but are not limited to):
- No parking in front of the access gate.
- Public use hours are from 6am to 6pm only; no camping on the site!
- No vehicles or bicycles are permitted on the site except those for approved research and teaching use (bike parking available at the main gate).
- Dogs with owners are welcome to visit, but they must be on a leash. (Also see here.)
- Dog owners must carry out all pet waste; please bring your own doggie bag to do so.
- No cutting or collecting of plant material; no hunting or harming vertebrates (this includes no fishing).
- No smoking.
Wednesday, October 17, 1990
Tuesday, October 16, 1990
Sunday, October 14, 1990
Thursday, October 11, 1990
Wednesday, October 10, 1990
- Water heater finally repaired! (heating element replaced)
- Washed + swept floor (3rd time) + more scraping
- 3rd coat paint on counter top
* 1st officer's log: on leaving @ 7PM, I found the gate blocked by a white VW rabbit diesel, license # XXX XXX. After a few minutes, its owner, a woman with 2 vicious dogs who were busily lunging at everything that moved, came up the road. She said, "I didn't know there were any people here." Let's hope that's it for the year! The cabin could come with a cellular phone so one doesn't need to drive backwards (!) all the way to the cabin to call for a tow truck. What a pain!
Tuesday, October 9, 1990
- Repaired refrigerator → new plate glass for crisper to replace broken glass, brass bushings + [writing unclear] to support wire grating where plastic supports had broken off, + attached handle to crisper drawer. → 3hrs
- Moved belongings in from barn
Monday, October 8, 1990
Sunday, October 7, 1990
Tuesday, October 2, 1990
5 1/2 hrs
- Painted lower walls w/ non-yellowy white latex enamel → 1 coat.
- Painted interior of cabinet directly beneath sink (orchid pink) → 1 coat.
- Repaired handle on cabinet door beneath sink
- Scraped bench-top of cabinets on W. wall of cabin