Detroit Edison was here from 9:30 AM → 12:00 noon or 1:00 PM each day to replace 2 of the electric ppoles at E. edge of lawn. Power was out for ~1/2 hour on Tuesday + 2 hours on Wednesday. Brought 2 or 3 longer trucks + 4 people each day! (a slight bit of overkill).
Use of the Forest
Public use of Saginaw Forest is encouraged. Rules for the public's use include (but are not limited to):
- No parking in front of the access gate.
- Public use hours are from 6am to 6pm only; no camping on the site!
- No vehicles or bicycles are permitted on the site except those for approved research and teaching use (bike parking available at the main gate).
- Dogs with owners are welcome to visit, but they must be on a leash. (Also see here.)
- Dog owners must carry out all pet waste; please bring your own doggie bag to do so.
- No cutting or collecting of plant material; no hunting or harming vertebrates (this includes no fishing).
- No smoking.
Wednesday, November 28, 1990
Monday, November 19, 1990
Talked with H.M. about getting chimney repaired → University is reluctant to fix it because they fear its use will increase their heating bill! If anything, it should decrease it, unless one were stupid enough to run the propane heater at full blast while the damper was open. Probably the real reason is that they don't want to invest any money that they don't absolutely have to in this property. So the fireplace will remain idle + the wood piled at the E. end of the house will continue to rot with "the slow, smokeless burning of of decay".
Friday, November 16, 1990
Thursday, November 15, 1990
Keith Berven came for 3-4 hrs to repair fence around his kettle swamp study site (wood frog study), place buckets of soil (?), + removed fallen tree(s) (for which purpose he borrowed the chainsaw for ~1 hr).
A limnology class came out ~1:30 PM. What a gorgeous day! Sunny and ~65°in the shade.
Thursday, November 8, 1990
Thursday, November 1, 1990
- Spent 45 minutes gathering tinder + kindling for SPAC bonfire (11-9-90, 6-10 PM), and sorting out [writing unclear] logs from woodpile at E. side of house.
- Spent 15 minutes making new oil/gas mixture for chainsaw: ~1 gallon gasoline : 2.6 oz 2-cycle engine oil (which is about a 50:1 gas:oil mix).