2hrs. With my Dad's assistance put up drapery rods + drapes on 6 windows in main room.
Use of the Forest
Public use of Saginaw Forest is encouraged. Rules for the public's use include (but are not limited to):
- No parking in front of the access gate.
- Public use hours are from 6am to 6pm only; no camping on the site!
- No vehicles or bicycles are permitted on the site except those for approved research and teaching use (bike parking available at the main gate).
- Dogs with owners are welcome to visit, but they must be on a leash. (Also see here.)
- Dog owners must carry out all pet waste; please bring your own doggie bag to do so.
- No cutting or collecting of plant material; no hunting or harming vertebrates (this includes no fishing).
- No smoking.
Monday, December 31, 1990
Monday, December 10, 1990
Saturday, December 1, 1990
Wednesday, November 28, 1990
Detroit Edison was here from 9:30 AM → 12:00 noon or 1:00 PM each day to replace 2 of the electric ppoles at E. edge of lawn. Power was out for ~1/2 hour on Tuesday + 2 hours on Wednesday. Brought 2 or 3 longer trucks + 4 people each day! (a slight bit of overkill).
Monday, November 19, 1990
Talked with H.M. about getting chimney repaired → University is reluctant to fix it because they fear its use will increase their heating bill! If anything, it should decrease it, unless one were stupid enough to run the propane heater at full blast while the damper was open. Probably the real reason is that they don't want to invest any money that they don't absolutely have to in this property. So the fireplace will remain idle + the wood piled at the E. end of the house will continue to rot with "the slow, smokeless burning of of decay".
Friday, November 16, 1990
Thursday, November 15, 1990
Keith Berven came for 3-4 hrs to repair fence around his kettle swamp study site (wood frog study), place buckets of soil (?), + removed fallen tree(s) (for which purpose he borrowed the chainsaw for ~1 hr).
A limnology class came out ~1:30 PM. What a gorgeous day! Sunny and ~65°in the shade.
Thursday, November 8, 1990
Thursday, November 1, 1990
- Spent 45 minutes gathering tinder + kindling for SPAC bonfire (11-9-90, 6-10 PM), and sorting out [writing unclear] logs from woodpile at E. side of house.
- Spent 15 minutes making new oil/gas mixture for chainsaw: ~1 gallon gasoline : 2.6 oz 2-cycle engine oil (which is about a 50:1 gas:oil mix).
Wednesday, October 17, 1990
had free estimate done for work to repair chimney + fire place [Robert's Chimney Service]
supposedly, the lack of a damper in the fireplace is allowing large amounts of heat loss from the cabin → so repairing the chimney + installing a damper should yield heat savings in 2 ways:
- Less heat loss
- Use of firewood instead of propane to generate heat.
however, it will cost $870.00!! Will SNRE be willing to pay? Stay tuned for further developments.
Tuesday, October 16, 1990
Sunday, October 14, 1990
Thursday, October 11, 1990
Wednesday, October 10, 1990
- Water heater finally repaired! (heating element replaced)
- Washed + swept floor (3rd time) + more scraping
- 3rd coat paint on counter top
* 1st officer's log: on leaving @ 7PM, I found the gate blocked by a white VW rabbit diesel, license # XXX XXX. After a few minutes, its owner, a woman with 2 vicious dogs who were busily lunging at everything that moved, came up the road. She said, "I didn't know there were any people here." Let's hope that's it for the year! The cabin could come with a cellular phone so one doesn't need to drive backwards (!) all the way to the cabin to call for a tow truck. What a pain!
Tuesday, October 9, 1990
- Repaired refrigerator → new plate glass for crisper to replace broken glass, brass bushings + [writing unclear] to support wire grating where plastic supports had broken off, + attached handle to crisper drawer. → 3hrs
- Moved belongings in from barn
Monday, October 8, 1990
Sunday, October 7, 1990
Tuesday, October 2, 1990
5 1/2 hrs
- Painted lower walls w/ non-yellowy white latex enamel → 1 coat.
- Painted interior of cabinet directly beneath sink (orchid pink) → 1 coat.
- Repaired handle on cabinet door beneath sink
- Scraped bench-top of cabinets on W. wall of cabin
Tuesday, September 25, 1990
Saturday, September 22, 1990
Thursday, September 20, 1990
3 1/4 hrs + 4 3/4 hrs = 8 hrs → Finished 1st coat of lemon ice + began 2nd coat.
4 hrs → mowed lawn → used scythe on edges of lawn that had not been cut all summer → especially near Dr. Hehman's boat, and on the SW portion of the lawn near the old cart w/potted geranium. Also cut off line branch on recently dawned box elder (just E of 2 willows near lake) so could mow lawn in that area. Raked areas with a lot of sod + stems lying in clumps.
Wednesday, September 19, 1990
Tuesday, September 18, 1990
Sunday, September 16, 1990
Friday, September 14, 1990
Thursday, September 13, 1990
- Road graded
- Water heater still not working
- Dr. Hehman's limnology class was out on lake w/several boats ~3PM → he asked if I could replace the lock that was broken off chain by city (?) when S.L. was away during last 3 weeks of August.
- 1/2 hour: Checked main roads → no trees down.
- 7 hrs: More scraping, stripping, sanding, + washing.
- bought lock for boat + 5 copies of keys.
Wednesday, September 12, 1990
Tuesday, September 11, 1990
Sunday, September 9, 1990
I (P.S.) move in + S.L. moves out. Decide to do much painting + scraping in cabin before moving my stuff in from the barn.
- scraped cement floor, removed large, smelly rug
- cleaned windows, window sills, + walls + shower
- cleaned trash out of streambed near lakeshore
Wednesday, August 29, 1990
Friday, July 13, 1990
Saturday, July 7, 1990
Wednesday, July 4, 1990
5 hr. Repaint loft ceiling, finish constructing rail in loft, paint rail.
Yesterday (7/3) arrived at noon to find the willow tree by the lake draped in white fabric with a nude woman posed against it being photographed. I suggested to the couple that some visitors might find this offensive + they packed up and left - promising to "be more discreet" in the future.
Saturday, June 30, 1990
Friday, June 8, 1990
Saturday, May 12, 1990
Swanson's Thrush - several
Black & white warbler - 1
Tennessee warbler - 1
Nashville warbler - 1
Magnolia warbler - 1
Black-throated green warbler - 1
Chestnut-sided warbler - 1
Ovenbird - 1