Although the vast majority of people do pick up after their dogs, some people just choose to leave their plastic fecal bags lying in the forest. One of the rules-of-use (and I think its a pretty fair one) is that, "Dog owners must carry out all pet waste; please bring your own doggie bag to do so."
If visitors are going to be walking past the front entrance (not because one has parked a car there, though, of course), they can avail themselves to the use of the trashcan located a few yards inside of the main gate:
(It's the very obvious black, trashcan-looking object to the right of the photo.)
There, dog-owners (or good Samaritans who choose to pick up after those less civic-minded visitors) can add their canine fecal bags to the pile of other such baggies. Once the new bag has been added, make sure that the lid is properly sealing the can and locked down with both handles.
If guests leave by other exits, they should carry their baggies with them out of the forest and dispose of them in a (hopefully) civic-minded manner.
Use of the Forest
Public use of Saginaw Forest is encouraged. Rules for the public's use include (but are not limited to):
- No parking in front of the access gate.
- Public use hours are from 6am to 6pm only; no camping on the site!
- No vehicles or bicycles are permitted on the site except those for approved research and teaching use (bike parking available at the main gate).
- Dogs with owners are welcome to visit, but they must be on a leash. (Also see here.)
- Dog owners must carry out all pet waste; please bring your own doggie bag to do so.
- No cutting or collecting of plant material; no hunting or harming vertebrates (this includes no fishing).
- No smoking.