We've had quite the Indian Summer during this Thanksgiving week. It feels as though it's 50° out - I'm out writing again by the lake. I haven't seen too m,uch so far, though there are several crows across the lake and east of the house making quite a ruckus. It feels like a mild April morning rather than late November.
We are up to having trapped 4 mice thus far in the cabin. We've caught them using conventional snap traps and a bit of peanut better. They've all been caught in the oven broiler drawer!
I keep hearing a decently loud sound in the woods across the lake - sounds like something running through the leaves - but can't put a finger on it. Deer perhaps?
Have seen and heard quite a few chickadees (I think that's what they are but will have to confirm). A flock of ducks just flew east.
Yep it's a black-capped chickadee. Also saw a Downy woodpecker the other day.A couple of ducks just landed at the east end of the lake. I could hear their wings cut the air as they turned - pretty cool!
Use of the Forest
Public use of Saginaw Forest is encouraged. Rules for the public's use include (but are not limited to):
- No parking in front of the access gate.
- Public use hours are from 6am to 6pm only; no camping on the site!
- No vehicles or bicycles are permitted on the site except those for approved research and teaching use (bike parking available at the main gate).
- Dogs with owners are welcome to visit, but they must be on a leash. (Also see here.)
- Dog owners must carry out all pet waste; please bring your own doggie bag to do so.
- No cutting or collecting of plant material; no hunting or harming vertebrates (this includes no fishing).
- No smoking.
Friday, November 24, 2006
Tuesday, November 14, 2006
UM Graded the driveway and put additional gravel in spots.
H. heard the Great Horned Owl from inside the cabin yesterday at 6 AM!
We spotted a hawk flying across the yard this morning; H. almost hit a deer in the driveway this morning.
Several folks with dogs off leash on Sunday, but they were affable about it.
As prelims approach and the weather gets colder, I haven't been doing my morning outdoor writing.