Mowed the lawn - took about 2 hours. It is rough in places and needs topsoil to level it. I took a load of old furniture to the landfill today. By the looks of the garage there is probably still two loads there. I also finished most of the framing for the shower and poured new concrete around the drain.
Use of the Forest
Public use of Saginaw Forest is encouraged. Rules for the public's use include (but are not limited to):
- No parking in front of the access gate.
- Public use hours are from 6am to 6pm only; no camping on the site!
- No vehicles or bicycles are permitted on the site except those for approved research and teaching use (bike parking available at the main gate).
- Dogs with owners are welcome to visit, but they must be on a leash. (Also see here.)
- Dog owners must carry out all pet waste; please bring your own doggie bag to do so.
- No cutting or collecting of plant material; no hunting or harming vertebrates (this includes no fishing).
- No smoking.
Saturday, June 12, 1999
Friday, June 11, 1999
Told some folks tonight to leash their dogs - that isn't very well accepted yet (month-old policy). I spent a small fortune on materials and tools for the cabin today. I was able to buy some used kitchen cupboards as well as some new ones, countertops, and a new shower unit. I removed the old shower unit this afternoon and evening and will go to the dump tomorrow. That unit and the space around it were disgusting. It was never properly installed and it was quite rotten and dirty all beneath and behind it. I hope SNRE will re-imburse me - I failed to ask permission first!
Thursday, June 10, 1999
Nice long days - good for taking on jobs after a full day at school. I look forward to the weekend and spending a full day here. I finished cleaning, washing, and mopping the floor. The weather is hot and muggy - not at all good for drying up my mess. I have been measuring some cabin improvements I would like to make.
Wednesday, June 9, 1999
My second night as the new caretaker - takeing over from J.A. I am going to be a while gettting tto know this place, but I am anxious to get started. I began last night by putting my "stamp" on the cabin - re-organizing, removing, replacing. I will be doign ti for quite a while and I hopt to keep the character of the place similar while making it my own.