Walking through the forest today I heard gunfire. "Hmm...," I thought. "I hope that isn't happening in the forest. There are many people walking around in the unseasonably warm weather."
I walked the paths and perimeter of the forest and didn't see anyone dressed up as a hunter, although I did hear more gunfire to the south of the property, and it sounded like they were shooting either in or near the Nie funeral home property. Although the people at DPS told me that there is nothing that they can do about any of it unless people com into Saginaw Forest, it's a little disconcerting to hear gunfire so nearby.
Use of the Forest
Public use of Saginaw Forest is encouraged. Rules for the public's use include (but are not limited to):
- No parking in front of the access gate.
- Public use hours are from 6am to 6pm only; no camping on the site!
- No vehicles or bicycles are permitted on the site except those for approved research and teaching use (bike parking available at the main gate).
- Dogs with owners are welcome to visit, but they must be on a leash. (Also see here.)
- Dog owners must carry out all pet waste; please bring your own doggie bag to do so.
- No cutting or collecting of plant material; no hunting or harming vertebrates (this includes no fishing).
- No smoking.