I slept over at a friend's place last night, and I received a phone call over lunch from the U-M police informing me that there was a hurt deer that was called in, and could I meet someone at the gate to let them in to put the deer down. I informed them that - unfortunately - I could not quickly do so.
Coming back to the forest, I looked for the dead deer, but the only evidence that there was one was a blood stain in the snow with what looked like some brain matter.
In the cabin, one of the mousetraps has caught yet another mouse.
Use of the Forest
Public use of Saginaw Forest is encouraged. Rules for the public's use include (but are not limited to):
- No parking in front of the access gate.
- Public use hours are from 6am to 6pm only; no camping on the site!
- No vehicles or bicycles are permitted on the site except those for approved research and teaching use (bike parking available at the main gate).
- Dogs with owners are welcome to visit, but they must be on a leash. (Also see here.)
- Dog owners must carry out all pet waste; please bring your own doggie bag to do so.
- No cutting or collecting of plant material; no hunting or harming vertebrates (this includes no fishing).
- No smoking.