Use of the Forest

Public use of Saginaw Forest is encouraged. Rules for the public's use include (but are not limited to):

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Coyotes!

I had been hearing the sounds of coyotes in the forest over the past few months. Now, as I walked out of the cabin, I saw two Canis latrans running across the ice on Third Sister Lake, and then running into the forest. I walked out on the dock to watch this pair. For a few seconds, I locked eyes with one of the two before it trotted into the woody edge.

Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me.

The presence of coyotes does mean that dog walkers should keep their dogs on their leash and those leashes in hand. The coyotes might well attack a dog that wanders off. (And, no, hunting of any animal -- including coyotes -- is not allowed in the forest.)

No comments:

Post a Comment