It appears that the pair of swans that were hanging around the forest have decided to set up for the spring and summer. There's a little nest constructed of cattails out by the new boardwalk, and it looks like there is often a swan sitting on it...
Although I don't know that there have been nesting swans in previous years (at least none of when I have been caretaker), I think that this is kind of cool. It'll be nice to see some cygnets swimming around the lake.
Use of the Forest
Public use of Saginaw Forest is encouraged. Rules for the public's use include (but are not limited to):
- No parking in front of the access gate.
- Public use hours are from 6am to 6pm only; no camping on the site!
- No vehicles or bicycles are permitted on the site except those for approved research and teaching use (bike parking available at the main gate).
- Dogs with owners are welcome to visit, but they must be on a leash. (Also see here.)
- Dog owners must carry out all pet waste; please bring your own doggie bag to do so.
- No cutting or collecting of plant material; no hunting or harming vertebrates (this includes no fishing).
- No smoking.