Use of the Forest
Public use of Saginaw Forest is encouraged. Rules for the public's use include (but are not limited to):
- No parking in front of the access gate.
- Public use hours are from 6am to 6pm only; no camping on the site!
- No vehicles or bicycles are permitted on the site except those for approved research and teaching use (bike parking available at the main gate).
- Dogs with owners are welcome to visit, but they must be on a leash. (Also see here.)
- Dog owners must carry out all pet waste; please bring your own doggie bag to do so.
- No cutting or collecting of plant material; no hunting or harming vertebrates (this includes no fishing).
- No smoking.
Saturday, April 18, 2009
Cleaning the fire pit
Since the weather was so nice today -- and because I had other work that I had to do -- I decided to spend some time cleaning the campfire pit of some of the ash that had accumulated over the years (maybe decades) since it's last cleaning-out. The photos don't really do justice to the amount of ash I pulled out of the pit (five wheelbarrow-fulls) and spread out across the grounds. Although I didn't shovel out all of the ashes, I think I got at least 3/4 of what was in there. The level of ash is more than one foot lower than it was earlier, and so the danger of building a fire that will roll out of the pit.