Just as one part of an old saying goes, I'm chopping wood. Thanks to the thinning project that is currently going on in the forest, there is a lot of timber that can be chopped up for the upcoming winter.
In order to chop it, though, takes some doing, especially with the hardwoods (urgh!). Luckily, I was able to take the axe into town to get it sharpened. Now it cuts the softwood easily. I think I will have to find the wedges in order to cut open the thicker pieces of hardwood, though.
Use of the Forest
Public use of Saginaw Forest is encouraged. Rules for the public's use include (but are not limited to):
- No parking in front of the access gate.
- Public use hours are from 6am to 6pm only; no camping on the site!
- No vehicles or bicycles are permitted on the site except those for approved research and teaching use (bike parking available at the main gate).
- Dogs with owners are welcome to visit, but they must be on a leash. (Also see here.)
- Dog owners must carry out all pet waste; please bring your own doggie bag to do so.
- No cutting or collecting of plant material; no hunting or harming vertebrates (this includes no fishing).
- No smoking.