Use of the Forest
Public use of Saginaw Forest is encouraged. Rules for the public's use include (but are not limited to):
- No parking in front of the access gate.
- Public use hours are from 6am to 6pm only; no camping on the site!
- No vehicles or bicycles are permitted on the site except those for approved research and teaching use (bike parking available at the main gate).
- Dogs with owners are welcome to visit, but they must be on a leash. (Also see here.)
- Dog owners must carry out all pet waste; please bring your own doggie bag to do so.
- No cutting or collecting of plant material; no hunting or harming vertebrates (this includes no fishing).
- No smoking.
Thursday, October 1, 2009
Furnace on and fireplace working
The furnace was turned on yesterday and it was great to come back to a house that was warmer than outside. Last night, I also lit a fire in the fireplace, but made the mistake of burning cedar, which (although smells nice) smokes up the place quite a bit. However, I also did burn a couple of Pine Mountain logs that burn clean[er] and bright[er] than cedar. I'll have to figure out some fix for the lack-of-damper situation on the fireplace soon, but for right now, I'm happy.