At some point last night, snow began to fall, but as the night progressed, the temperature slowly climbed and at about 1AM, I heard several dull thuds on the roof of the cabin as slush sloughed off the trees, hitting the roof. At first I thought it was squirrels running across the roof, but then realized that it wasn't so rhythmic as would be expected by squirrels, turned over, and went to sleep.
This morning, I awoke to a scene of a thin layer of wet snow covering the area. However, due to its consistency, the trees had returned to their uncovered state.
Use of the Forest
Public use of Saginaw Forest is encouraged. Rules for the public's use include (but are not limited to):
- No parking in front of the access gate.
- Public use hours are from 6am to 6pm only; no camping on the site!
- No vehicles or bicycles are permitted on the site except those for approved research and teaching use (bike parking available at the main gate).
- Dogs with owners are welcome to visit, but they must be on a leash. (Also see here.)
- Dog owners must carry out all pet waste; please bring your own doggie bag to do so.
- No cutting or collecting of plant material; no hunting or harming vertebrates (this includes no fishing).
- No smoking.