Prof. Berven is back in the forest this week, clearing up a lot of the damage and fallen trees that are around the frog pond. We chatted a little bit about the possibility of having him look at the front lawn area as a refuge for the brown and green frogs during the summer. I had seen some frogs when I was cutting the tall grass last year, and I think that the frogs are living in there (at least some of them).
It's interesting to note that Prof. Berven has been coming to the forest several years, and previous caretakers have made comments about his comings and goings.
Use of the Forest
Public use of Saginaw Forest is encouraged. Rules for the public's use include (but are not limited to):
- No parking in front of the access gate.
- Public use hours are from 6am to 6pm only; no camping on the site!
- No vehicles or bicycles are permitted on the site except those for approved research and teaching use (bike parking available at the main gate).
- Dogs with owners are welcome to visit, but they must be on a leash. (Also see here.)
- Dog owners must carry out all pet waste; please bring your own doggie bag to do so.
- No cutting or collecting of plant material; no hunting or harming vertebrates (this includes no fishing).
- No smoking.