I had a knock on the door at 8am this morning, and -- puzzled -- I opened the cabin door and saw a man with a hard hat, wearing a reflective vest. He was here to trim trees along the power lines and had followed in the power lines from the split-off point on Wagner, and would it be possible to access the property via the road? Sure, and I went to get the gate lock.
A little time later, in drives their truck and they set up in the front lawn. They immediately got to work, trimming away the trees near the power lines, slowly working their way out to the property line with PALL. They are working at cutting the trees as minimally as possible, except when they have to cut down a tree, or when they are asked to remove one. They will eventually also work along the property line, following the power line. Although this doesn't appear to actually be part of the management plan, it is something that really needs be done, since trees do continue to grow, and it has been at least two years since the trimmers were out here last.
Use of the Forest
Public use of Saginaw Forest is encouraged. Rules for the public's use include (but are not limited to):
- No parking in front of the access gate.
- Public use hours are from 6am to 6pm only; no camping on the site!
- No vehicles or bicycles are permitted on the site except those for approved research and teaching use (bike parking available at the main gate).
- Dogs with owners are welcome to visit, but they must be on a leash. (Also see here.)
- Dog owners must carry out all pet waste; please bring your own doggie bag to do so.
- No cutting or collecting of plant material; no hunting or harming vertebrates (this includes no fishing).
- No smoking.