Ann Arbor during the summer is normally quite humid. Living in a forest during an Ann Arbor summer is likely even more humid (trees breathe too, you know). When I moved in to the cabin in January, there was an old Samsung dehumidifier the previous caretakers used. However, after plugging it in this time, I realized after a few days of it running that -- for some reason -- it leaked half (or more) of the water it collected all over the carpeting. To that end, I purchased a new Westpointe 50-pint dehumidifier at Stadium Hardware this past Sunday. After letting it run (it has an automatic humidity control) since Monday morning, I poured out about 30 pints after coming home this evening! That's about 8 pints per day!
I think that I'll be letting that puppy continue to run -- it can only help with the maintenance of the building. (And it's much quieter -- and supposedly less energy-intensive -- than the Samsung.)
Use of the Forest
Public use of Saginaw Forest is encouraged. Rules for the public's use include (but are not limited to):
- No parking in front of the access gate.
- Public use hours are from 6am to 6pm only; no camping on the site!
- No vehicles or bicycles are permitted on the site except those for approved research and teaching use (bike parking available at the main gate).
- Dogs with owners are welcome to visit, but they must be on a leash. (Also see here.)
- Dog owners must carry out all pet waste; please bring your own doggie bag to do so.
- No cutting or collecting of plant material; no hunting or harming vertebrates (this includes no fishing).
- No smoking.