My friend B.D. and I worked this weekend to put in an exhaust system on the outhouse (operation codename: "Shit Happy"). In the end, we managed to get it put up, and although not perfect, it does reduce the amount of smell inside the cabinet during the warm daylight hours, so no major complaints, I suppose. And the fan is protected against rain (unless the rain somehow gets under the flap), so there shouldn't be a chance of short-circuiting, either. I'm pretty chuffed about that accomplishment.
Now all I have to do is to figure out what is the optimal amount of time I need to run the fan prior to going out there...
Use of the Forest
Public use of Saginaw Forest is encouraged. Rules for the public's use include (but are not limited to):
- No parking in front of the access gate.
- Public use hours are from 6am to 6pm only; no camping on the site!
- No vehicles or bicycles are permitted on the site except those for approved research and teaching use (bike parking available at the main gate).
- Dogs with owners are welcome to visit, but they must be on a leash. (Also see here.)
- Dog owners must carry out all pet waste; please bring your own doggie bag to do so.
- No cutting or collecting of plant material; no hunting or harming vertebrates (this includes no fishing).
- No smoking.