Use of the Forest
Public use of Saginaw Forest is encouraged. Rules for the public's use include (but are not limited to):
- No parking in front of the access gate.
- Public use hours are from 6am to 6pm only; no camping on the site!
- No vehicles or bicycles are permitted on the site except those for approved research and teaching use (bike parking available at the main gate).
- Dogs with owners are welcome to visit, but they must be on a leash. (Also see here.)
- Dog owners must carry out all pet waste; please bring your own doggie bag to do so.
- No cutting or collecting of plant material; no hunting or harming vertebrates (this includes no fishing).
- No smoking.
Monday, April 26, 2010
A sunny day... A little brisk out, but the sun should help keep me warm. This morning, I spent time working with the property committee discussing various things vis-a-vis data management in the forest. I learned that K. B. has many, many data layers of land cover of Saginaw Forest going back to the 1940s (and digitized land-cover layers). Then, in my own wanderings around the forest, I encountered many things indicating different studies going on in the Forest (and possibly from bygone days). The need for some standardized idea of the type, extent, and experimenters out in the forest - as well as the length of various studies - would make for a good addition to the types of data that the caretaker could be in charge of.