Today, I spent about 1 hour collecting more garlic mustard from around the property. ... and then (because it was during an interlude between the rains) burned over one wheelbarrow-full of the stuff. The smoke and steam that came off of it was amazing, and I worked hard to burn the rest of the stuff. Luckily, there was enough wood collected from the fall and winter to feed the multiple fist-fulls of garlic mustard.
And then... after about one hour of burning, I scattered the wood, and allowed the ashes the burn down (an oncoming storm front also helped keep the embers down).
Use of the Forest
Public use of Saginaw Forest is encouraged. Rules for the public's use include (but are not limited to):
- No parking in front of the access gate.
- Public use hours are from 6am to 6pm only; no camping on the site!
- No vehicles or bicycles are permitted on the site except those for approved research and teaching use (bike parking available at the main gate).
- Dogs with owners are welcome to visit, but they must be on a leash. (Also see here.)
- Dog owners must carry out all pet waste; please bring your own doggie bag to do so.
- No cutting or collecting of plant material; no hunting or harming vertebrates (this includes no fishing).
- No smoking.