The amount of icecover on the lake is diminishing steadily now. Last week, it was a thin skein across most of the lake, extending all the way to the southern shore. Today, even with the snow from yesterday and this morning, the amount of ice cover - and thickness of the remaining ice - has seriously diminished.
I think that this is the year that winter didn't really come; it just "hung around" for a few days, preferring - apparently - to take a trip to the Mediterranean and Caspian Seas.
Use of the Forest
Public use of Saginaw Forest is encouraged. Rules for the public's use include (but are not limited to):
- No parking in front of the access gate.
- Public use hours are from 6am to 6pm only; no camping on the site!
- No vehicles or bicycles are permitted on the site except those for approved research and teaching use (bike parking available at the main gate).
- Dogs with owners are welcome to visit, but they must be on a leash. (Also see here.)
- Dog owners must carry out all pet waste; please bring your own doggie bag to do so.
- No cutting or collecting of plant material; no hunting or harming vertebrates (this includes no fishing).
- No smoking.