Note: these articles cite the use of specimens taken from Third Sister Lake as well as studies conducted on Third Sister Lake.
THIRD SISTER LAKE REFERENCES
In chronological order
note: this list is not necessarily exhaustive
originally compiled by K.L. Schulz and P.M. Yurista;
Updated by T. Bridgeman, March 1997
Updated by S. Lacy, August 2010
The majority of this list was found here.
- Weld, L.H. 1904. "Botanical survey of Huron River Valley II. A peat bog and a morainal lake." Bot. Gaz. 37: 36-52.
- Hatch, M.H. 1925. "Habitats of coleoptera." Journal of the New York Entomological Society 33(4): 217-223.
- Crabb, E.D. "Growth of the pond snail, Lymnaea stagnalis appressa, as indicated by increase in shell-size." The Biological Bulletin 54(1):41-63.
- Woodhead, A.E. 1929. "Life history studies of the trematode family Bucephalidae." Transactions of the American Microscopial Society 48(3): 256-275.
- Eggleton, F.E. 1931. "A limnological study of the profundal bottom fauna of certain fresh water lakes." Ecological Monographs 1(3): 231-331.
- Eggleton, F.E. 1931. "Limnetic distribution and migration of corethra larva in two Michigan lakes." Papers of the Michigan Academy of Science, Arts, and Letters 15: 361-388.
- Krull, W.H. 1931. "Life history studies on two frog lung flukes, Pneumonoeces medioplexus and Pneumobites parviplexus." Transactions of the American Microscopial Society 50(3): 215-277.
- Old, M.C. 1931. "Taxonomy and distribution of the fresh-water sponges (Spongillidae) of Michigan." Papers of the Mich. Acad. Sci, Arts, and Letters. 15: 439-476.
- Price, H.F. 1931. "Life history of Schistosomatium douthitti (Cort)." American Journal of Epidemiology 13(3): 685-727
- Old, M.C. 1932. "Observations on the Sisyridae (Neuroptera)." Papers of the Mich. Acad. Sci., Arts, and Letters. 17: 681-711.
- Bosma, N.J. 1934. "The life history of the trematode Alaria mustelae, Bosma, 1931." Transactions of the American Microscopial Society 53(2): 116-153.
- Leonard, J.W. 1934 "The naiad of Celitheimis monomelaena Williamson (Odonata: Libellulidae)." Occasional Papers of the Museum of Zoology 297: 1-8.
- Laing, H.E. 1939. A physiological study of some aquatic plants. Ph.D. Thesis. University of Michigan.
- Brown, C.J.D. and R.C. Ball. 1942. A fish population study of Third Sister Lake. Trans. Amer. Fish. Soc. 72:177-186.
- Brown, C.J.D. and R.C. Ball. 1943. An experiment in the use of Derris Root (Rote-None) on the fish and fish-food organisms of Third Sister Lake. Trans. Amer. Fish. Soc. 72:267-284.
- Ball, R.C. 1943. Relationship of the invertebrate fauna to the fish population in Third Sister Lake, Wastenaw County, Michigan. Ph.D. Thesis. University of Michigan. 127 p.
- Goodrich, C. "The Walker-Beecher paper of 1976 on the Mollusca of the Ann Arbor area." Occasional Papers of the Museum of Zoology 475:1-28.
- Ball, R.C. 1947. A tagging experiment on the fish population of Third Sister Lake, Michigan. Trans. Amer. Fish. Soc. 74:360-369.
- Hatchett, Stephen P. 1947. Biology of the Isopoda of Michigan. Ecol. Mon. 17: 47-79.
- Ball, R.C. 1948. Relationship between available fish food, feeding habits of fish and total fish production in a Michigan Lake. Mich. State Ag. Exp. Sta. Tech. Bulletin 206. 59 p.
- Berg, C.O. 1949. Limnological relations of insects to plants of the genus Potamogeton. Trans. Amer. Micros. Soc. 78: 279-291.
- Berg, C.O. 1950. Biology of certain chironomidae reared from Potamogeton. Ecol. Monogr. 20: 83-101.
- Berg, C.O. 1950. Hydrellia (Ephydridae) and some other Acalyptrate diptera reared from Potamogeton. Annals of the Entomological Society of America 43: 374-398.
- McGaha, Y.J. 1951. The limnological relations of insects to certain aquatic flowering plants. Ph.D. Thesis. University of Michigan.
- Ball, R.C. and Hayne. 1952. Effects of the removal of the fish population on the fish-food organisms of a lake. Ecology 33: 41-48.
- McGaha, Y.J. 1952. The limnological relations of insects to certain aquatic flowering plants. Trans. Amer. Micros. Soc. 71: 355-381.
- Hopper, F.F. and A.M. Elliott. 1953. Release of inorganic phosphorus from extracts of lake m by Protozoa. Trans. Amer. Micros. Soc. 72: 276-281.
- Bender, M.E. and R.A. Jordan. 1970. Plastic enclosure versus open lake productivity measurements. Trans. Amer. Fish. Soc. 99: 607-610.
- Jordan, R.A. 1970. Factorial enrichment experiments in a southeastern Michigan lake. Ph.D. Thesis. University of Michigan. 235 p.
- Dunnette, David A., 1973. Chemical ecology of H2S production in freshwater lake sediment Ph.D. Thesis. University of Michigan.
- Jordan, R.A. and M.E. Bender 1973. An in situ evaluation of nutrient effects in lakes. EPA Ecol. Res. Ser. EPA-R3-73-018. 227 p.
- Robertson, C.K. 1978. Natural rates of methane production and their significance to carbon cycling in two small lakes. Ph.D. Thesis. University of Michigan. 180 p.
- Robertson, C.K. and D.P. Chynoweth. 1978. Methanogenesis: a measure of chemoorganitrophic (heterotrophic) activity in anaerobic lake sediments. in R.R. Colwell and W. Costerton (eds.), Native aquatic bacteria, enumeration, activity and ecology. Procedings of the American Society for Testing and Materials Symposium, Minneapolis, June 1977.
- Robertson, C.K. 1978. Quantitative comparison of the significance of methane in the carbon cycles of two small lakes. Archiv. fur. Hydrobiol
- Korstadt, J.E. 1980. Laboratory and field studies of phytoplankton-zooplankton interactions. Ph.D. Thesis. University of Michigan.
- Lee, L.W. 1982. The evolution and ecological genetics of phenotypic plasticity in Daphnia pulex. Ph.D. Thesis. University of Michigan.
- Lee, L.W. 1984. Environmentally controlled phenotypic plasticity of morphology and polypeptide expression in two populations of Daphnia pulex (Crustacea: cladocera). Oecologia 63: 207-214.
- Naumoski, T. and J.T. Lehman. 1984. Nitrogen loading: influence on dissolved inorganic carbon in natural waters. Proc. Int. Assoc. Theor. Appl. Limnol. 22: 244-249.
- Lehman, J.T. and T. Naumoski. 1985. Content and turnover rates of phosphorus in Daphnia pulex: effect of food quality. Hydrobiologia 128: 119-125.
- Dorazio, R.M. 1986. Demographic and experimental approaches to zooplankton population dynamics (egg ratio, birth rate, rotifer, Third Sister Lake, Michigan). Ph.D. Thesis. University of Michigan.
- Lehman, J.T. and T. Naumoski. 1986. Net community production and hypolimnetic nutrient regeneration in a Michigan lake. Limnol. Oceanogr. 31: 788-797.
- Cotner, J.B. Jr. 1990. Utilization of dissolved phosphorus compounds by bacteria and algae in lakes. Ph.D. Thesis. University of Michigan.
- Kiesling, R.L. 1990. The role of consumer-resource interactions in structuring a small-bodied cladoceran community: differential reproduction and survival of Bosmina, Ceriodaphnia, and Daphnia on individual species of phytoplankton. Ph.D. Thesis. University of Michigan.
- Cotner, J.B. Jr. and R.G. Wetzel 1991. 5'-Nucleotidase activity and inhibition in a eutrophic and an oligotrophic lake. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 57: 1306-1312.
- Cotner, J.B. Jr. and R.G. Wetzel 1991. Bacterial phosphatases from different habitats in a small, hardwater lake. p 187-205. in R.J. Chrost (ed.), Microbial enzymes in aquatic environments. Springer.
- Cotner, J.B. Jr. and R.G. Wetzel. 1992. Uptake of dissolved inorganic and organic phosphorus compounds by phytoplankton and bacterioplankton. Limnol. Oceanogr. 37: 232-243.
- Branstrator, D.K. 1993. Ecological investigations of the invertebrate plankton predator Leptodora kindti. Ph.D. Thesis. Dept. of Biology, University of Michigan.
- Hammer, B.K. 1995. Diatom succesion in recent, storm induced sediment lamination of Third Sister Lake, Michigan. M.S. Thesis, SNRE. University of Michigan
- Schulz, K.L. 1996. The Nutrition of two cladocerans, the predaceous Bythotrephes cederstromi and the herbivorous Daphnia pulicaria. Ph.D. Thesis. Diss #26428 Dept. of Biology, University of Michigan.
- Hammer, B.K. and E.F. Stoermer. 1997. Diatom-based interpretation of sediment banding in an urbanized lake. Journal of Paleolimnology 17(4): 437-449.
- Bridgeman, T.B., C.D. Wallace, G.S. Carter, R. Carvajal, L.C. Schiesari, S. Aslam, E. Cloyd, E. Elder, A. Field, K.L. Schulz, P.M. Yurista, and G.W. Kling. 2000. A Limnological Survey of Third Sister Lake, Michigan with Historical Comparisons. Journal of Lake and Reservoir Management 16(4):253-267.
- McNaught, A.S., R.L. Kiesling, and A. Ghadouani. 2004. Changes to zooplankton community structure following colonization of a small lake by Leptodora kindti. Limnol. Oceanogr. 49(2): 1239-1249.
- Judd, K.E., H.E. Adams, N.S. Bosch, J.M. Kostrzewski, C.E. Scott, B.M. Schultz, D.H. Wang, and G.W. Kling. 2005. A case study: Effects of mixing regime on nutrient dynamics and community structure in Third Sister Lake, Michigan During Late Winter and Early Spring 2003. Lake and Reservoir Management. 21(3) 316-329.
- Cypher, J.A. and L.D. Lemke. 2009. Multiple working transport hypotheses in a heterogeneous glacial aquifer system. Groundwater Monitoring and Remediation 29(3): 105-119.
- Kerfoot, W.C. and A.S. McNaught. 2010. Two-step dialogue between cladoceran Bosmina and invertebrate predators: Induction and natural selection. Limnol. Oceanogr. 55(1): 403-419.