Use of the Forest
Public use of Saginaw Forest is encouraged. Rules for the public's use include (but are not limited to):
- No parking in front of the access gate.
- Public use hours are from 6am to 6pm only; no camping on the site!
- No vehicles or bicycles are permitted on the site except those for approved research and teaching use (bike parking available at the main gate).
- Dogs with owners are welcome to visit, but they must be on a leash. (Also see here.)
- Dog owners must carry out all pet waste; please bring your own doggie bag to do so.
- No cutting or collecting of plant material; no hunting or harming vertebrates (this includes no fishing).
- No smoking.
Wednesday, August 18, 2010
Finished mowing down the "main part" of the lawn
It took an additional three hours to do, but I mowed down the main part of the front lawn (hopefully without killing too many small vertebrates) and spread the grass clippings near the Roth memorial stone. Since the grass was allowed to grow tall, when cut short, it looks brown, taking several weeks to come into green. Therefore, the front lawn looks like a patchwork right now, with the paths being the most verdant, followed by the 1st quarter that was mowed, then by the 2nd, etc. I'll keep mowing the entire cut area for the next 2 months (i.e., until after the SNRE campfire) before letting it go for the winter. (Maybe one last mow in November, if there isn't snow on the ground by then.)